Skip to main content

Wistful Memories

When you've had a parent struggle at the end of life with Alzheimer's or dementia, you don't take your own memory glitches lightly. We all have them, but after my father died, I found myself looking more carefully at my own brushes with memory loss. So imagine my dismay last week when I accidentally left my sister at the airport to fend for herself and find her way to our house all because I had written on my calendar that she was coming in on Monday instead of Sunday. I was totally thrown out of whack by this major scheduling snafu. We laughed, I sighed deeply, and then moved on. Monday morning I dragged her to my semi-annual dentist appointment. I know what you're thinking: your sister came 3,000 miles to see you and you dragged her to the dentist???! Well, in all fairness, she only made these reservations on July 1st and rearranging those semi-annual visits is as easy as booking dinner with the queen. She assured me that she was happy just spending time with us, and so off we went.

 Upon arrival at the dentist's office, the receptionist had a funny look on her face. She stepped away for a moment and then said, "I have you down for next Monday." Now I really know what you're thinking: you dragged your sister to the dentist on the wrong day after having left her at the airport? This is not good. Inside I was really getting thrown about my own mind. How could this be? My little reminder card had read July 15th. It had to be their error. The receptionist kindly handed me a Starbucks gift card and told us to go have coffee on her, which we did. Afterwards we got back in the car only to find that it wouldn't start. Bad things happen in threes, so life was looking up.

We were rescued by my neighbor Dave who kindly picked us up. I was ready to call it a day. Or a week. When we came home, I checked my calendar. Sure enough, I had two visits to the dentist on two consecutive Mondays. The error was all mine. Sigh. That afternoon my son had an art class just down the road from our house, so I buzzed him down only to find that there was no class. I still am not sure what happened to that class, but I had just gone past the magic three; something was not right. Nagging reminders of my dad's last few years were leaving an edge to my laughter, but what was I to do? Carry on. Just carry on.

Thank goodness for friends. Just a few days before my memory mayhem, my friend Nancy (wife of kind Dave) delivered a bottle of Scalabrone, a light red wine made from Cabernet, Merlot, and Syrah grapes. Along with the wine came a recipe for Scalabrone Sangria. In anticipation of my sister's arrival, I had purchased all the ingredients, and in my best-laid-plans senario, I would put everything together Sunday night so that we could enjoy the sangria Monday evening. But since these plans didn't quite work out,  I put everything together Monday morning before heading to the dentist. That evening, instead of hiding under a rock as I wanted to, we thoroughly enjoyed several glasses of the fruity blend. All's well that ends well. Hopefully my sister will muster up the courage to visit once again. Chances are she will send reminder texts every hour in advance of her arrival.

There are many different recipes for sangria and I am by no means an authority, but this is a tasty one. I don't know how easy it is to find Scalabrone, but I suspect a bottle of Merlot or Syrah would substitute well. On a warm summer evening, it's a very refreshing drink.

Scalabrone Sangria

1 bottle Scalabrone
Juice of one orange
Juice of one lemon
2 cups chopped ripe peaches
1 1/2 cup raspberries
1 1/2 cup club soda
2 T sugar
1/4 cup fruit brandy (I used Clear Creek Distillery Loganberry Liqueur)

I placed all ingredients (except the club soda) together in a pitcher and let set overnight. The original recipe says to "blend" all the ingredients, which could be interpreted to mean mix in a blender. You'll have to choose. Add club soda before serving; it should be nice and chilled. The recipe can be made without the added liqueur for a lighter drink. Sangria is guaranteed to cure ever the most difficult of days. On this I am an expert.

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this one. I didn't know your Dad struggled with Alzheimer's but I do understand it well since my mom is also struggling with dementia.
    One thing for sure-your sister was delighted to be with you in whatever form it took!
    Sangria sounds delish!!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen