Skip to main content

Sweet Sixteen

Sixteen years ago today I had one of the most fearful moments of my life. Well, that may be a little dramatic, but I was very pregnant with our second child. We had  moved two weeks earlier to the Eastside, one bridge away from Seattle where I was set to deliver. For those of you who do not live in this area, there's a really big lake that separates Seattle and the Eastside communities and  two bridges that connect them. Every morning and every afternoon many cars travel very slowly over those bridges as Seattleites and Eastsiders drive to work and back home. So my fear of going into labor during rush-hour, complete with visions of a bridge delivery dancing through my brain, was not a crazy one. Lucky me, my first contraction on May 14th arrived at 5:30am, just as all those little worker bees were leaving their garages and heading to the office. I was doomed to deliver in the backseat of our car; not exactly what I was hoping for. By 6:30 we were on the road. It was a beautiful blue sky day, and as we got on the freeway I was surprised to see the merging stop lights were off. The cars were travelling 60 or 65. What was going on? We continued. Still no brake lights in sight. We merged onto the 520 floating bridge. Surely we'd be in bumper-to-bumper traffic any minute. As we descended onto the bridge deck, the sight was miraculous. Snow-capped mountains, glistening water, rowing shells, a water skier, sun shining on Seattle, and not a traffic jam in sight. I was giddy with delight, at least in between each contraction. My  nightmare had been put to rest. We cruised on into Providence Hospital, and five hours later Nelson was born.


I originally planned to publish this post on Mother's Day and write an ode to mothers. Instead, I had myself one of the laziest days ever -- it was lovely. Not a chore was done, no meal was cooked. No games to attend, no work to finish. Bliss, sheer bliss. During my lounge-fest, I did manage to read the Sunday New York Times from cover to cover and came across  a fabulous piece entitled "After the Children Have Grown" by Madeline Levine, a clinician, consultant, and author of "Teach Your Children Well: Parenting for Authentic Success." I had never heard of Madeline Levine before Sunday, but she is my new best friend. Okay, that's taking it a bit too far, but she spoke many truths that hit home, some of which I have written about in this blog. Instead of trying to paraphrase, I will simply quote Ms. Levine as she talks about gaining a sense of being later in life: "Part of our sense of disruption around identity comes not only from the loss of a particular kind of relationship with our children but also because this loss is temporally close to other losses in the life cycle. Our younger selves have dissolved into menopausal clouds. We are too old to realize certain dreams. We've made choices that are not irrevocable: not making partner because of the kids or making partner and always feeling guilty about the kids...The chaotic diversions inherent in raising children cease, and we suddently find ourselves with time to reflect. What did we do right? Where did we fail? How do we spend our remaining time?" So true. I remember a wise instructor of a prenatal yoga class explaining that parenting is about letting go from the moment your child is born. I've thought about this for the last 18 years. As our daughter gets ready to finish her first year of college, I look forward to the other end of that thought -- the joy of always welcoming my children back into my arms.

The other useful thing I did on my supremely lazy Mother's Day was to research my next drink. I've been thinking about the Pisco Sour for quite some time now after reading about it in a magazine. As you might remember, the whiskey sour was one of the first "adult" drinks I ever had, so sours hold a special appeal.


Pisco was something I had never heard of, and judging by the quizzical looks I received from liquor store workers as I searched for a bottle of it, I'd say I'm not alone. It's a grape brandy made from the muscat grape in Peru and Child, and has a truly unique flavor. Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of actually going to a bar with some girlfriends. Yes, trying to get a sense of being later in life does have it upsides. We had a great time at Oliver's Twist, a cozy neighborhood watering hole in the Phinney Ridge/Greenwood area of Seattle. Having already become interested in the Pisco Sour, when I saw it listed as a drink option on their menu, my decision making was done. What arrived at our table was a beautiful  golden-colored drink with a beautiful foam on top. Within the foam was a decorative swirl of Angostura bitters -- truly a drink for me! The Pisco Sour is now my new favorite drink. Easy to make (once you find some Pisco which, by the way, should come from Peru) and full of interesting flavor. And I hope you're impressed with the beautiful swirls I created on top  thanks to bartending techniques observed at Oliver's Twist.

Pisco Sour
1 1/2 ounces pisco
1 ounce fresh lime juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1 small egg white
Several drops of Angostura bitters

Shake all the ingredients with 8 or 9 cubes of ice. Shake extremely well to create the foam on top and strain into a small cocktail glass. Add several drops of the bitters in a circle on top of the drink and then pull a toothpick through the drops to create a design. As with all sours, you can adjust the balance between the sweet and sour components to suit your taste buds. Salud.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen